Homemade Facials for Every Skin Type
Forget Botox, chemical peels or any other potentially dangerous treatments offered by your dermatologist. If you want to improve the overall look and feel of your skin, give yourself a homemade facial. In less than 30 minutes, a facial can nourish your skin, improve its texture and lessen the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and acne. If you don’t have the time, energy or extra cash to visit your local salon, it’s possible to create amazing homemade facial for any skin type with inexpensive products available at your local craft store, grocery store and pharmacy.
Facial for Dry Skin
If your dry, chapped and irritated skin is aching for moisture, but you don’t want to spend hundreds on an esthetician, here’s a simple, inexpensive way to create a facial at home:
• Melt 1 bar dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Allow the chocolate to cool before adding one-half cup whole milk and one tablespoon honey to the bowl. Try not to eat this!
• Remove the flesh from a single small avocado. Take out the pit with a spoon, and then scoop out the flesh and mash the avocado with a fork. Add the mashed avocado to the dark chocolate mixture.
• Stir the ingredients together and apply a thick layer to your clean face. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it away with lukewarm water.
Facial for Oily Skin
Oil and acne go hand in hand, and an ideal homemade facial must eliminate the excess sebum without drying out your skin. This is easily accomplished by creating a mixture of safe, natural ingredients:
• Peel and boil two large carrots until they are soft. Remove the carrots from the heat and mash them with a fork. Pour the mashed carrots into a large bowl and add one-half cup oatmeal and one-half cup yogurt.
• Add one egg white and one-quarter cup of rosewater to the mixture. Stir the ingredients until they’re well-incorporated.
• Before applying the facial, chill the ingredients for 10 to 15 minutes. Apply a thin layer of the facial mask to your clean face and allow it to remain for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the product by gently wiping it away with a moistened washcloth.
Facial for Combination Skin
Creating a product for combination skin can be tricky, which is why products aimed at treating this skin type are often very expensive. Save hundreds by creating a simple homemade face mask from cucumber, honey and rosewater.
• Peel and mash one medium to large cucumber. Place the mash in a large bowl and add one-half cup rosewater and two tablespoons honey.
• Stir the ingredients and add one-quarter cup fresh — not canned — pumpkin pulp and four tablespoons finely-ground coffee. Mix the ingredients until they’re well-incorporated.
• Apply the product to your clean face and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. To remove, gently wipe away the product with a moistened washcloth. If there’s a lingering coffee smell on your skin, wash your face with a product formulated for combination skin.
Facial for Sensitive Skin
If you suffer from sensitive skin, harsh detergents and strong fragrances can often lead to painful swelling, itching and burning. Create a simple, soothing facial product that is ideal for your sensitive skin:
• Grind one cup oatmeal — not instant — in a blender or food processor. Combine it with one-half cup plain yogurt and two tablespoons rosewater.
• Add 10 drops lavender oil and 10 drops chamomile essential oil and mix well.
• Wash your face with a product formulated for sensitive skin before applying a small amount of the mask to your forehead or cheek. If you have a negative reaction, remove the product immediately. If no redness or irritation occurs, cover your face with a thin layer of the facial mask and allow it to remain for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse the product away with lukewarm water.
No matter what your skin type, there’s an inexpensive, homemade facial mask recipe that will make your face glow. For best results, apply the mask formulated for your skin type at least once a week.