Renewing Your Makeup Kit
Renew your make up case. Save time in the mornings!
Empty your toiletry bag and put some order in it!
- Discard all broken products.
- Discard all products beyond their use-by date.
- Check the expiry date on each product. Make up products, once open, should be discarded according to their ingredients.
Follow these guidelines:
- Mascara: about three-four months after opening. If you use it a lot it may be that it doesn’t even last three months.
- All texture products in powder form such as shadow, matt powders and foundation -last about two years.
- Foundation in cream form, correctors, shadows or rouges in cream form: these last about a year and a half.
- Lipsticks: about two years.
- Lip gloss: about two years. See when the color or texture changes; it is possible that if you have exposed it to temperature changes then it may have gone off.
- Check the product packaging, a symbol such as this one normally appears and besides it a number and M ( for months). The number tells you the number of months for which the product will last in a perfect state once opened. It is also important for you to ask when you buy. Products which last over 36 months will not have this symbol.
- Face creams and cleansers have different shelf lives, depending on their ingredients- They can last from 3 to 12 or 24 months.
Clean all your products with a damp towel, and dry them with a soft cloth. They will come out looking new.
Don’t forget to clean all your brushes, and you’ll see how much easier it is to put make up on. Here’s how:
Natural hair brushes.
- Clean them with a mild shampoo, with a neutral fragrance.
- Rinse them in cold or lukewarm water (avoid using hot water)
- Apply a hair pack or intensive hair conditioner
- Allow it to take effect for a few minutes.
- Rinse again, until you are sure there is no remaining soap.
- Clean your synthetic-hair brushes with a grease-removing product, such as washing-up liquid.
- Rinse them in lukewarm water and ensure there is no remaining soap.
TIP: Always leave your brushes to dry on a towel; never let them dry vertically in a cup, as in this case the water would enter the brush’s handle and ruin it, besides which the hair will part.
New sponges and powder puffs
Buy new sponges and powder puffs. They are very accessible and you will feel as though you are trying out a whole range of products for the first time.
Wash your toiletry bag in a washing machine, if the material and shape allow it. Otherwise clean it with a damp sponge and eliminate all left-over pencil shavings, broken pencils, bits of make up, etc.
If you can, buy yourself a new toiletry bag with separate compartments so as to keep all your make up products in order. They’ll last longer that way.
Acquire small, transparent toiletry bags to store your cotton wool, sponges, and powder puffs, keeping things more hygienic.
In the second part of this bulletin we tell you how to renew your make up and your hair with a few easy and quick tips.