Sun Life Foundation Announces Winners of Brighter World Builder Challenge
Last July 12, 2018 at F21 Hotel located at 32nd St, Taguig, 1634 Metro Manila, Sun Life Financial – Philippines Foundation, Inc. (Sun Life Foundation), announced the winners of its Brighter World Builder Challenge. In partnership with The Spark Project, the program was launched to search for, fund, and accelerate financial literacy initiatives, in celebration of Sun Life Foundation’s 10th anniversary.
20 entries out of a total of 49 applications entries were chosen to undergo a Social Impact Boot Camp spearheaded by The Spark Project. Applicants were given pointers on how to prepare for their final pitch, which they presented to a distinguished panel of judges. The top 10 winners received a Php 100,000 grant that can use in the implementation of their projects and programs as well as crowdfunding support from The Spark Project.
From the final pitch, 10 lucky entries were selected:
- Bin Stalk – A program designed by Domyson Dulay Abuan for the community of Malaban that combines learnings on financial literacy and waste management;
- Budget Squad Manila – A social enterprise focused on teaching good money management skills and financial literacy through creatively designed personal finance tools;
- EmpoWomen PH – A non-profit organization that aims to help displaced women and families in Marawi City through sustainable sources of income;
- FLOW Inc. – Stands for Financial and Life Opportunities for Women and focuses on giving practical education in finance for marginalized and average social class women;
- Kids Who Save (KHuSA) – Game-based learning designed to simplify the concept of financial literacy for young kids;
- Young Savers: Experiential Learning to Financial Literacy – At the Mano Amiga Academy, children from the lower end of the socio economic ladder are taught the value of financial responsibility through project-based learning;
- Change for a Life – A campaign created to help lower income families manage their finances to fit their expenses and save money;
- Children of Sugar Cane Farmers in Bacolod – A program designed to teach children of sugar cane farmers about the opportunities open to them to uplift their family’s lives;
- COINscious JUAN – A savings app created to promote the importance of being conscious of one’s spending habits, and;
- Pitaka ko:’ A Learning & Savings Journal for Kids – An interactive and creative learning and savings journal for kids ages eight to 15 designed by Roxanne Navarro.
Alex Narciso, President of Sun Life Foundation said “One of the core pillars of Sun Life Foundation is education, and the Brighter World Builder Challenge was launched because we wanted to give recognition to individuals and groups who have programs in place that teach Filipinos about the importance of financial literacy. Our 10 winners have indeed shown that is through creativity and innovation that we are able to encourage Filipinos to be more financially savvy and to become more financially secure”.